Tree Cutting for firewood – In previous days, one would rely on the woodcutter to supply firewood to burn in a wood burning unit such as a fireplace or wood burning stove. Technology and fossil fuels have left those day far behind. However, as of late, there is a resurgence with the a number of people opting for firewood. The good old traditional fuel and heat provider from seemingly, days gone by, is making a comeback. Since hiring a professional woodcutting service is very expensive, people are choosing to cut their own firewood. Cutting your own wood is not only more affordable, but also a great way to experience nature, as well as work up a burning some calories. Be sure to check what wood cutting permits are required. Winnipeg wood cutting permits, Calgary wood cutting permits
Safety first when Tree Cutting!
Chopping firewood or tree cutting is not an easy task. It is a tiring and physical process which also involves a substantial amount of risk. Safety precautions are necessary when undertaking any tree cutting or wood chopping activity.
- Preferably, do this activity with a partner.
- Like any physical activity, you should warm up before starting the more physical movements.
- In case of accidents, make sure that there is a cellphone with full network connectivity available.
- Wear comfortable, old and simple clothing which won’t get in the way of this heavy physical activity
- Ensure that you Wear safety glasses to protect your eyes from projected wood.
- Wear protective head gear
- Wear ear muffs or plugs to protect your hearing for loud equipment such as a chainsaw.
- Always carry a first aid kit with you.
- Ensure your swinging area is clear of people as well as objects at all times.
Wood Cutting Tools required
Whether you are chopping firewood and tree cutting, there are a lot of choices available for state of the art wood cutting tools. My favorite Uncle had a saying, “you get what you pay for”. Meaning, one does not scrimp on equipment. Good quality equipment will yield good results. This is especially important when one considers how dangerous an activity tree cutting or cutting firewood can be. Since wood cutting equipment isn’t cheap, take the time to research where your money is best invested. This can be done online at various forums and equipment sites. You might want to consider seeking the advice from a professional wood cutter. Pick up a phone and see what you can find out. The most important and most used piece of equipment you would need to cut firewood, is a quality chainsaw. Some of the best chainsaw brands are Stihl, Poulan, Homelite, Echo, McCulloch and Husqvarna. Besides the brand of the chainsaw, you also have to determine whether you want to opt for an electric saw or a gas one. While the electric saws are lighter and are better for cutting smaller tree limbs and logs, the gas saw works better for bigger trees and for those who are into heavier chopping. Some other wood cutting tools besides the chainsaw that are needed include:
· Woodchuck Log Jack – to haul heavy logs off the ground to make cutting an easier and safer task.
· Log Choker Cable w/ Tow Ring – for towing log pieces.
· Log Holder – to tightly secure the log in place for chopping.
Best time to get Tree cutting done!
There is a lot of ambiguity regarding the best time of the year to cut firewood. It is best to cut all your firewood in the winter time, after the leaves have fallen, preferably in the months of January and February. As for drying the wood, the best conditions are during spring and summer.